Justice 1986 #1 a review.
| His appearance changes too fucking much in this whole thing of the New Universe. |
Marvel may be owned by the Disney rat these days but it always was not folks. It did not have these "include fax social justice" regimes within it. One time were people truly experimented was under the New Universe Imprint. The whole New Universe imprint was poorly managed, written and a badly executed idea. I mean literally enough these people could not stand around to really actual experiment. They really did not know what to do. The goal was to make "realistic" comics and break away from the whole superhero thing. They wanted violence and mass killings and just enough nonsense about drugs. crimes and politicians and that social aspect to make you go crazy. I really to say at this time in comics, there was pretty much no understanding of a graphic novel or how to make one for the folks at Marvel even if they probably did exist at the time. I mean that the Watchmen was collected in a book by 1987 by DC Comics, and so could be considered a graphic novel. And well people had been self proclaiming their works as graphic novels since 1976 with the actual earliest record going back to 1842. Truly, I am to say that these folks at Marvel had no idea what to do with the direction of this New Universe imprint. Basically the New Universe was an idea by the editor of Marvel in the mid 80s called Jim Shooter. He wanted to make a real story about superheroes in the "real world". The people under him quiet did not how to think outside that box or make anything different.
And so all the New Universe series would have different writers at many times after just two serials. Constant reboots would happen for many ideas because there was no good basis for the story to continue where the cycle of bad writing and writers prior had left the works. The whole works if you look at them go under a who hyper evolution that makes them just trace over good ideas and basically ignore good valid points to create the stories further significantly that "they should have just stayed to superhero comics". The hyper evolution basically caused the works to be slogs filled with holes. I mean to say that none of the stories are appealing pretty much and just have terribly and sloppy ideas that are executed so badly, a singular person could have placed a better story than a bunch of individuals who really did not want to write realistic "superhero" things. Nope, I mean to say this is like a lesson to people who want to start their own comic imprints. You get help that understands the vision and not people who want to tear down the vision. Of course, no one liked Jim Shooter and especially did not like this New Universe project and in fact burned an effigy of him at a party( I think Christmas party) after he was fired from being the editor of Marvel. Basically they( the revolving group of changing writers and artist folk)came back with an event that was basically to mock the editor's upbringing and basically destroyed all what he was even trying to create through others. Much enough people, the story of this matter was not to be kind to Jim Shooter. He basically became an outsider of the industry even when and basically when he made at least two alternative comic book companies that run today. Pretty enough it goes to show how much open to new ideas the company Marvel actually is. If you actually look into their whole diversity effort, let's just say people basically cannot work there unless they share closeted ideas about how stories are supposed to be. I mean pretty much an article was released that stated how diversity hires were basically without any rreal ability to advance into the company. Truly enough, this topic is so obscure now that people have this real false image of what Marvel comics are about and even Marvel comics glosses this real meaning over alot just to be contemporary or with its movies. I want to examine one story from the New Universe that just shows the really absurd nature of a place calling itself of a "House of Ideas" were members of the company basically stifled progress and innovation and relatively refused to innovate. If not frankly were the people who would today make up false scientific facts to soothe a political agenda that does not care about lives or the santicity of science. I am to say that people just wanted to create their everyday status quo stuff and really did not want to give anything a legitimate try.
Welp, Justice #1 essentially is a mess of a story. It forces at least 34 serials worth of content potential do the drain just to try to establish itself. Its very much an inefficient 1st serial in even communicating what our main character is about. Sure, this guy has some type of alien status in this " realistic comic work" and is just doing whatever he likes and just kills anyone. That is supposed to make him serious but there is no story behind it really. No story at all. I have seen manga play out this trope of an executor of wrong doers in Codebreaker better and I am sure that in the 1980s period that they had to have some type of work with an antihero. Oh wait, Marvel, you had the Punisher. Anyways this guy just kills people left and right without any remorse because he "just knows they are bad". Its the worst character trope ever and it basically continues on until the last Justice issue which was the 36th issue. I mean it does not do the character or story anything. Usually in stories you see people are bad. You see that they are bad, one character does not tell you that they are bad and that is their justification for killing. This basically just makes the story stupid and shit show because "no one can be redeemable" and no one can be human and be able to be redeemable or have any sense of fair justice.
Unlike many good works and even like Punisher, the many characters in this one volume that are killed off and the general characters are just poorly written, you never have a good motive behind them at all or even a character. There are no good action scenes and I am to say that the main character is stiff, robotic and frankly has the worst hair design ever but the mullet was of the 80s I think so they thought it was cool. Alas,folks the work wastes too much potential to even engage that the main character is not so good himself. This work tries to hard to say, " I am original for no reason and with no real story".
I mean to say that people did not receive New Universe titles well. They were just basically repetitive in the end of Marvel's then current offerings and this means they weren't "realistic superhero works". I am just to say that all realistic things aren't bad things. I mean do you eat a sweet potato and get the Mexican Mafia shooting up your mouth whilst you eat them? I think not. Everything is not violence and well basically the whole New Universe and this particular 1st issue of Justice would fall into the trap most 1980s comic anythings would; being too fucking violent. Like do we really need to have so much violence against women in this first comic. Frankly, two women basically are threatened or shot at mafia style. Whilst one can defend theirselves against the bullets-they were some sort of secret agent and the other was just a woman on drugs and probably being forced to be a prostitute, in broad day light to boot! I mean this work is like purely just overly excessive and does not even know what it is aiming for.
I mean I hardly could read the thing because of how bad the writing is and how bad the pacing is. This one character in this club would only be apparent for basically not even a long time and then he would be made the boss of "cleaning up the bad people". He could have been Justice's nemesis and even show what the character was doing was wrong. Yet he gets murdered by Justice's death beam. I mean this guy is like Darkseid but trying to be a hero. To any great degree, the boss of "killing of the trash" is never given any real meaning of that effect by through time and a great story to illustrate who he is. No, he frankly just blutters it out in heavy text numbered bubbles that , " I am the guy cleaning up the trash and you are like me Justice". Really much as Justice is killing him, he says, "No, you think that but you have been twisted". I mean who is even talking to then, a pile of fucking ashes? There was no reason for Justice to say anything at all but to show childishly even his own meaning which is poorly developed. I mean this was a major publisher and they had a story the level worse than any novice because they honestly did not give a fuck. Also many New Universe stories had trouble meeting deadlines so that was also a thing.
This first volume is just a series of kills a serial killer manages to fall upon even if the people were bad, the story truly did not make you care for them at all or anything because they were hardly available to even be seen for what would normally be a few serials or two or just one even. You felt nothing for their deaths folks and that is a powerful thing where and when this guy is supposed to be dealing "Justice". You just think he is a serial killer by the end of the isse. I mean to say whilst a granny or old woman is killed at the beginning of the issue, you really don't care about her because her sole thing is just being a prop for why these first victims are so bad and its done through text. There to be said, that maybe if the woman had been shown alive and with a live then people would have felt something. I mean, show the woman going to church, having a family and such things. I am to say that whilst they-the creators of this series wanted to show that this was of "real world capacity". I am sure that in real life-people don't just kill people in broad daylight and the streets aren't empty during the day. I mean to say that people don't die immediately after a gunshot wound or stabbing. They don't. This work just is trash because it really much ignores the existence of police.
So yea, basically there is another advent of killing by our supposed antihero of this pimp using a woman as a prostitute and possible drug seller. The guy frankly kills the pimp and really a pretzel stand operator mentions the police and gives him a pretzel. Its funny of course when he had snatched out of the main character's hand as if to realize, "he's serious business". I mean all these people in this work kinda of have those brooklyn accents and it gets to me. To clarify, pretzel guy never said "he's serious business" but might as well have.
So basically the third advent is the main character called Justice going to this club and basically there is a really rushed and convoluted plot of something about gangsters running a club and then there being this guy who is to be "using them and then killing them". On top of that we have these gangsters trying to kill these two insider operatives from the police/spies from the police or something and they are spying on them with their low tech tv run surveillance system. Yet we never see the cameras on anything in this large club space so frankly the background is set up badly to not make any logical sense. "Where is the camera at? " ,you would wonder. I mean to say that once Justice gets there, just a whole bunch of wasted characters, a rushed story that passes by a better potential in the span of frames and really just straight up violence and senseless killing. I mean its like they did not want to write in the man who was undercover or the fact that he could betray Justice so just made him, the main character so overpowered and with explanation by his words why he killed the agent undercover. Even the guy says he made the wrong decision. I am to say the story ignores the concept of police and really even just rejects that concept up until the end. Oft folks, this story is sexist because no women get turned to ashes. He all feel pity for them when they could be evil as well. Yet the writers neglected that judging," That'd be too much". So basically this whole 3rd part could have been at least 13 to 23 serials max.
The whole 1 serial could have been at least three sets of 13 serials. I am to say that is how terrible the story is. How much wasteful it is and really much there is no point in reading anything else of this series when it just gets worse.
Now, that is my review on Justice 1986 #1.
The improvements in closing are (1) not so many characters ,(2) develop earlier on just actually the character Justice himself as that is actually the most lacking element in the series (and what people would say later on ) and (3) if not just actually give him a base of operations instead of him just walking around begrudgingly.(4)Please develop other characters. (5) Don't kill people off because its not done in a constructive or meaningful way and just makes a blob of nonsense for a story. (6) Give the magical realm a chance and don't try to make it a "realistic story"-there is no actual such thing in this world, what is fantasy to you is reality to someone else( I do say that it is also subjective if superpower even exist and just because they are no concurrent in this world who is to say they don't exist and cannot exist in a work for a comic book company)/ embrace your superhero roots.
These changes would do wonders to this story.
Comments
Post a Comment