Shark on Campus; for the memories!

    June 2, 2016;a Friday, I believe it was-was the day in which I started to create Shark on Campus. I essentially wrote it all down in some 8 to 9 posts in ideals on my secret blog. I drew an image for the work and then began the journey to create the work. I original created it just to create it and then realized I could enter it into the Lezhin contest. In my current views of today, I should have just continued to develop the idea. 

   I worked  on the idea throughout many other things for weeks. Most importantly the Bunker Comics effort. To be noted at the time of its creation; Shark on Campus was basically like a comic that could fit into the H-Hentai and/or Bunker Comics projects which I had started in that time period. Oh, it is to be said there was a lot going on and I began to focus on Shark on Campus to be a leading work amongst all my works and if it could get me somehow a job at a comic company through a comic contest then that would be great. The biggest failure was depending on the contest. It never was a real legitimate thing. If you look up Lezhin, they sure as hell nor fuck don't treat their comic artists well.

    But basically, I was working to complete the idea but also complete the work so I could engage in the comic contest Lezhin had at the time. It was labeled as a "global competition". Yet seriously, I would say many people were excluded because they did not engage in the South Korean style of things.Surely and part by part worked on the series to some length on lined paper. I then read the contest rules and you basically had to have two serials. So I essentially made two serials out of the stuff I had and I did them three times over. I used tracing back in those days. I did not use the actual lined paper to create a comic. Nope. But really much I realized that I was wasting my time redrawing over and over again when you could just do it once and be over with it.

    I entered that Lezhin contest and on the aftermath of that worked on Technogothica because you could put two comics in the contest. But really there was no point to that. They weren't even going to offer suggestions. My advice to actually win that thing would be to pay some South Korean artist who actually is akin to the style those pretentious fucks at Lezhin like because simply all they do for this contest is just pick someone who is of their nationality or can emulate their style. Its like the equivalence of American comic book artists saying that the South Korean art styles are invalid. You had to follow a vertical format and maybe people in America just draw them horizontal as the original Shark on Campus on lined paper was. And don't have this style of "elitism" and highly textured artwork. Like should everything look sparkly? To those at Lezhin, all that sparkled mattered and being as unoriginal mattered. I am pretty sure they even took some of my ideas literally.

   I did not win the competition that I had spent much of the summer working on. I did not. Its sad but its true and really much never got any feedback at all for all my efforts. It was basically not even a real contest but another opportunity for Lezhin to grift on people and not pay or treat them well. Just for them to get more talent they could harass or treat like cattle. This is what I recognize today. 

    I would spend the earlier part of August to the later mid, working on Shark on Campus. To revive the idea and used a new method to do it. It just slogged at the end and no matter how much I seemed to work at it-my body and mind seemed to be at their limits supporting the work. I mean, I worked on so many projects that summer 2016. It never seemed to end.  Basically drafted alot of ideas and created alot of comics. Some that have not seen the light of day since the summer 2016.

    As you should know the fall 2016 was not a good time but in early 2017, I decided to make Shark on Campus again and really much drew everything again for a fourth time. The work did not come back until fall 2018 and then I made the current version  which has quiet fallen behind into oblivion as there is no safe way to put the project online with people snatching the images. And yes, 3rd parties rather not support a comic book artist at all with their embed codes which would prevent people from stealing the work. I would not be surprised if they conspired with the American comic book companies -the most prominient two; to prevent people from posting comics for free on their platforms. Yea, essentially I don't have money to waste on an "Issuu membership". You could literally put the fucking work on some site to give out to the public in exchange for money and yet it does not even work.

    Now, today, I think it would be nice to return to the origins of this project. Not for completion at all but for the memories and frankly that is what will create some type of work for. Just for the memories. Even though they weren't so great.( Don't come after me Fallout Boy, this is a fair use of that song's lyrics when placed into an article for a different meaning).

Comments

Popular Posts