RWBY in recap.

 RWBY

    I think that when I first watched it was life changing. I expected it to be made by a group of people starting out and it was enjoyable in the sense of realizing what you could aspire to do. I was 20 years old at the time when I first discovered this work on a Tuesday in October. Literally the work was uplifting to me in a time where I was feeling down and wondered how I would ever create Cosmica. I mean you could probably rename fall 2015, " the time period I ventured to learn how to finish a comic named Cosmica" and it would be 1/5th right. The other parts would be continue comics by drafting them all the way to a final version,  working on various projects, navigating a corrupt school system and trying to continue MK MZODERN. Oh, this project gave me so much happiness I will say at the start. This was a long time ago before RWBY would become popular. Now, say it with me, popular. I was like there before the 3rd season came. Its ironic how I watched it because I definitely did not know who Roosterteeth was even though I lived in the same state as them. I never thought of them as anime but whatever. 

    To tell you the truth I recognized the story was not going to be the best because of who it seemed to be created by. There was a commercial for the program they used at the end of the programs most of the times. It was interesting to say but I only took the story seriously because of the fight scenes. In my opinion, RWBY does not lend itself to be replicable for future commercial success as in having different reboots like you see of Batman or TMNT. The lore is just all jittery and you could go anywhere with what is stated.

     I am to say that the RWBY of then in fall 2015 was only up to the 2nd volume and not well known until the spring 2016 with the ending of volume 3. The work was no drama at the start folks but I marvel on how it has down spiraled in a dog shit. I mean; who writes the rest of thing after volume 4?  Its like a whole differnet new series that tires to be polished and complete when the original was not all that great.

      Again, it had good fight scenes but literally the story has major problems. There in the forest scene Rwby and Jaune grab the chess pieces and realize they don't have to fight the grimm to win in the task but in the next scene instead of running away like they discussed-it sets up for a fight. I mean I was puzzled by this the first time I watched it but just realized amateurs where making it but the fight scene that came later was like this very well polished thing that I had never seen before. Some animes I had seen up to that point and I had seen many did not have fight scenes with many people to the degree that was that fight scene. Later on you come to figure out that the creator Monty Oum did the action scenes and the writers jobs were to make it all make sense but obviously there was a great disconnect.

     I would say the true RWBY is the one where Monty Oum has the fight scenes working to tell a story. Its not the writers who are disjointed and this is to say that when Monty Oum passed away; only a shell of RWBY was left. This lazy disjointed work that is of the later eras. You can say there are three separate series in RWBY and in my opinion; the work is so weird that it changes from this bright out look to this downright depressing and antagonistic outlook. I mean the way Ruby speaks to Ozpin in season 1 would never be the way she speaks to Ozpin in Oscar's body in season later on. I mean the level of disrespect later Ruby gives to Ozpin is contradictory to what any sane person would do to a person who allowed them into a school early to learn to fight grim. I mean; where is the connection to the previous story in character? The company's writers forgot and they don't make any of their writing choices believable. Ruby in the scene in  volume 7 where everyone gets angry at Ozpin and Qrow punches Oscar who has Ozpin in him just seems to be antagonist and everyone is just a spoiled brat who have no logic and no sympathy at all. I mean Ruby's uncle punches a fucking kid for god's sake and these are to be our heroes? I am to say you be robbed of the true story of RWBY when everything has gone to stake of suck bad characterizations, characters are introduced that nothing is done with, the main characters don't seem fleshed out at all or have any great sum of adventures together to feel like a cohesive full team roster of heroes. 

    I mean if you watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you know who is the who and what are their connections and their depth. Each series of TMNT at least has a competition between Leonardo and Raphael for  the position of leadership. The turtles have time in their episodes for each one to have some character development which opens up to characters who only appear with the respective turtles. Then in more adventures these characters come into the story when all turtles are present. I think that the people who made RWBY in its writing just suck. Most animated shows get what RWBY fails to do. I mean they surely made some ragtag animation effort that could be said to be an anime but it was just their media project that is good enough to qualify as a cartoon but it should not have been the actual final product. This is how I always have felt because frankly this is what beginners do me included. They make a project but sometimes it does not match up to the quality that is expected of a tv show.

    I think that if they took some time before the 4th volume to actually get good writers and respect that the work was powered by visual means and yes good action sequences aka find someone who has good action focuses to work on the work, RWBY could have been something. They could have easily gone back and reworked everything before hand because there are too many holes to fill in the weave basket no matter how far you go; you will always reach the end with no water.

    My biggest gripe with this show as you can tell is that they want to pass it off as if it was this purely realized thing and complete thing at the start when it was not. Their continued advancement is admirable but they went into the wrong direction. Why? Because anyone who sees the first three volumes can actually tell it does not match with what came later on. The later on seems disingenuous and when a publisher of media says to the audience, "no, the work is actually a continuation" it angers some people because the work is bad. The effort of the animators is what has always driven the story you should realize. I think I like how good the animation has become over the years in its majority. Give it or take it is good though some of the elements just make the story confusing and way too dark aka this last past volume we literally have a corpse faunas making up a grim. Like geez, I think we have gone too far here, but then again that would be the fault of the writing. The animators can only do or work around what is written. Ergo to say I would lying if there was no internal or external conflict in the company that makes RWBY. The writers are at odds with animators from the beginning of this production to the current now.  From differences between Monty Oum's direction and the writers to the writers today forcing the animation department to work overtime and create an abusive workplace environment. 

    I will also say that Rooster Teeth aka production company of RWBY by saying that volume 4 further just indebts a toxic online community and a great division in their fans. Some fans live in reality and adhere to logic that the two first eras of RWBY don't add up with everything before three being one era and everything up from 4 to 6 begin another. These fans feel like they are just being cheated out of the real answers to a question they as fans want to know. I mean imagine if an old tv show had an unresolved plot and told everyone when it was coming back it would just be better than before but they would not answer this vital plot question. You image people would be pissed and turned off from the work and although they would watch it; it would not be for enjoyment but to test the waters of this "continuation" which of course many will find not appropriate to even be listed as a continuation. Many will feel as it like the company just selling snake oil and engaging in bad marketing principals( which RWBY does engage in usually using Monty Oum for status as a legitimate work). Other fans will just defend this direction because they were so in love with the potentials for the work in its first three volume and/or how it seemed to be to them. RWBY at its first venture can seem to be anything to anyone because that is how improper the story was. So imagine that you have people who can objectively look at things and others just be fooled by things. These two parties engage today online in a hidden firestorm war. 

    I mean so many people look back on this show and try to fix but usually give up. I am to say that the only way this show could even be salvaged is to reimagine it and just have a whole different team behind it and just veer away from these overtly ambitious and contrived parts including Salem, the gods and all this other stuff that takes away from the main characters. The whole character of Ozpin is just not even done well and this show which is supposed to be about four girls is basically at times in great odds with even that basic idea. I think the work tried to do too much too soon.

    Volume 1 could have been its own series and so could the Vital Festival. Volume 3 realistically did not even need to happen and I am just to say that whatever the original creator was going for in that volume it was junked by poor production and writing. While the animation looks great throughout the series and held potential at the start and got better as time progressed, you cannot build a story on moving scenes of art alone. I am to say that when you compare and contrast the elements of the work to other works similar and dissimilar in animation today; you can say that it lacks any great structure that most series have. 

    These days I just embrace what the work did for me in that time period of fall 2015 but realize that I just don't like the work nor its direction in entirety.

Comments

Popular Posts